Friday, May 1, 2009

clean and well-lit

The clean, well-lit room is the barren, empty cave of the soul. Lord, save me from them. Give me ill-lit, give me smoke-filled, give me long-legged women not giving me the time of night, give me meager gambling wins to keep the Jamieson full, give me uncomfortable stools and high-backed chairs. Give me man's misery and alienation, give me a pen and a cheap legal pad. Give me a girl who loves me just enough to leave me alone, give me cheap sex that breaks me like straw. Give me a life that fits me like a secondhand suit, give me friends that barely tolerate me but still invite me to places I don't want to be. Give me weak lungs and strong legs, give me a weakness for whiskey and a hatred for vodka. Give me young girls who don't know well enough and old women that know far too well.

No comments:

Post a Comment