Saturday, June 27, 2009

sit down, girl, i think i love you

Recently I can't seem to make the right choice, if I go left, it's clear I should've gone right, if I choose to go to the bar, it's clear I shoulda stayed in. The cosmic dispensation I have been experiencing for the past couple of weeks seems to have dried up and that's enough to shake any man. So Micheal Jackson died, right? "ABC 123" is probably the best pop song of it's era, so, that's something, though I imagine that's more the work of Quincy Jones and their tyrannical father, but, stilll. Thriller is also a killer album, but, I don't think that's a very controversial statement. MJ died back in '93 when he first got accused of molesting that kid, or at least, he became more and more of a sideshow than a bankable artist and, honestly, I think the "grieving" that seems to be going on seems more like a collective sigh of relief more than anything else. Kat Williams has lost some material, that's for sure.

I have a bad case of amnesia. I forget what it's like to be younger than I am now. I mean, I am hardly a pillar of stability, but, as I brought up in my previous post, I am starting to identify certain distinct characteristics and have a more or less defined "routine". However, as I sink my toes into the luke-warm water of Atlanta social pools, I have to remind myself that it wasn't always that way and that I have to be willing to give some dispensation and patience to those still hard-scrabbling up the sheer side of adult identity. After dating primarily older, or incredibly mature, women I have to remind myself that if I wanna date for looks, that has it's downsides, namely the ability to pin them down is similiar to Nabokov's complaints about butterfly hunting. However, I think a change of tactics rather than persistence is the key here. Also, the conversation isn't exactly sparkling. I sat next to a young woman last night at the bar who preceeded to wow me with her critical and unique insights on why Paris Hilton is not someone who should be recognized as a cultural icon. While I can't say I disagree, it was like talking to an episode of the Soup circa 2001. I mean, making out with her was fun, but, the accquired phone number now seems more like an albatross than an invitation. I groggily deleted it this morning. I think that's a good choice.

1 comment: